Monday, April 19, 2010

firing on all cylinders!!!!

Things get hectic in a fishing season, especially Arkansas in the spring. Right now I'm chasing water temps on the smallie rivers, white bass runs, pinning hatches down, and chasing down virgin streamer runs.
Other times of the year, one or two of these things may happen at any given time, allowing a fishing guide to concentrate on a given product and give it a nudge. Right now, I'm a 6 month old jack russell terrier chasing my tail at mach 12.
How do I decide what to do? Its pretty simple really. I just ask "Joe Fisherman" what he wants to do.

JA "Forrest, I've never really hit the mother's day hatch before."

Forrest "No problem Joe Angler, the hatch is popping on about 18 miles of river"

JA "Forrest, how's the smallie fishing? Is there a particular river you would reccomend"

Forrest "there is no particular river right now, pick one out of a hat, it'll fish great, if you want bigger ones, lets concentrate on some green water."

JA "So i hear you like to pitch the secret chicken, are they on?"

Forrest "Is the Pope Catholic? Crawdads are popping, and the sculpins are in the mood right now so its easy pickin."

JA "How's the nymph fishing?"

Forrest "Why? I guess we could catch 80 fish on that today, but what's the point, let me explain what's going on right now...."

In short, we are in the middle of a "happening." The stars have aligned. At the same time, I'm running all over Northern Arkansas putting boats up dirty, switching for the other dirty boat the next day, scrounging through fly boxes that look like a mortar round went off inside. I've got time to do the three S's in the morning (scratch that, two) and thats about it. A good nights sleep is a faint memory. I've got a day off tomorrow so everything's okay. Wait, I just heard a gobble out back and there's a few days of turkey season left. Guess I can sleep when I'm dead.......or June.....I hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment